The history of Tapex is steeped in innovation and family values. Tracing back to the 1880’s, our owner and Principal, Philip Rossi’s great grandparents emigrated from Italy and started the business that has developed into the Tapex Group today.
The Tapex Company started in 1957 when Theo Rossi had the vision to build a laminating machine to successfully manufacture the world’s first synthetic flat strapping. One constant that has remained over four generations of business is our passion for innovation and providing our customers with the highest quality product and services. We have the capability to deliver on any-size project, while remaining flexible and focussed on your needs..
The Tapex Group vision is simple – by investing in the best technology and people, we are providing world-class products with unparalleled service.
- Italian immigrants Villa and Rossi begin business in Australia, providing clothing and other goods to people in rural areas.
- Business begins for the newly-incorporated Tapex, founded by Theo Rossi. Tapex commences the manufacturing and sales of synthetic flat strapping, which was the first of its kind in the world, from its premises in Waterloo, Sydney NSW.
- Tapex becomes the first company in the Southern Hemisphere to extrude polypropylene.
- First range of baling twine is produced for the agricultural market.
- Developed the first plastic barricade fencing for road and work sites.
- Developed the first underground detectable warning tape to protect telecommunication cables.
- Philip Rossi acquires the company.
- A new range of biological filters developed for treatment of grey water and industrial waste products.
- Tapex expands its operations to New Zealand.
- New headquarters established at Kingsgrove, Sydney, NSW.
- Tapex acquires remaining 50% share in Tapex Victoria.
- Tapex installs the first of two state-of-the-art Barmag extrusions lines for the manufacture and supply of synthetic grass yarns to Australasia and global markets.
- Tapex acquires the company assets of ‘Kinnears’, the iconic Australian rope, twine and cordage company.
- Tapex named in Business Review Weekly (BRW) ‘Fastest 100’ for second year running, one of only two manufacturing companies on the list.
- Tapex develops a yarn used in the world’s first waterless hockey pitch laid in Victoria.
- Tapex acquires Agpac in New Zealand and Australia, establishing Tapex’s position as the largest crop packaging supplier in Australasia.
- Tapex acquires Empak New Zealand, strengthening Tapex’s position as a leading supplier of both horticultural and viticultural textiles and twines.
- Tapex launches Plasback Recycling Strategy.
- Tapex launches its horticulture business in Australia.
- Tapex builds new Sales, Marketing and Distribution Centre in Victoria.
- Tapex Grass Yarns used in Hockey surfaces at London Olympics.
- Tapex opens a new world class manufacturing facility in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, to supply its key brands of Agricultural and industrial twines to the Australasian and global markets.
- Tapex acquires Industrial business of Boddingtons Australia.
- Tapex acquires the horticultural textile business of Scarecrow.
- Tapex sells its synthetic grass manufacturing business to APT Polytan.
- Tapex acquires 50% shareholding in Polyfabrics Australasia, a leading supplier in construction fabrics and related products to the civil, landscape and building construction sectors across Australia.
- Tapex sells its Australian Agri division to Tama Plastic Industry.
- Tapex Group acquires the remaining 50% shareholding in Polyfabrics Australasia, moving to 100% control of the company.
- Tapex Group sells its shareholding in Vietnam manufacturing facility to Tama Plastic Industry.
- Tapex Group acquires Donaghys Crop Packaging business in New Zealand.
- Tapex Group acquires GreenLife Structures - leading Greenhouse manufacturer with operations based in Ballina NSW
- Tapex Group sells the Polyfabrics Geosynthetic construction division.
- Tapex Group sells its New Zealand Agpac, Donaghys Crop Packaging and Plasback divisions to Tama Group
- Tapex Group acquires the Elite Tunnels Ltd UK business – leading global manufacturer of Horticulture Polytunnel systems for growers.
- Greenlife Structures and Polygro businesses now united as one company under new operating name of GreenlifeGRO Pty Ltd, effective 3rd July 2023.
- Tapex Group acquires business assets of Redpath Ideal Greenhouses Pty Ltd -leading Australian manufacturer of greenhouses for Horticultural & Agricultural sectors, effective 3rd July 2023.